search for something
or read a curated article below
- History of BoxingThe history of boxing, from ancient Egypt to 17th century England. Learn about the fall of the sport and its revival a millennium later.
- Hawaiian Ancient SurfingTraditional Hawaiian culture is rich with ancient surfing history; giant, glossy surfboards for kings, conditioned koa boards for commoners.
- Historical Fighters and WrestlersHealth and Fitness History's list of the most notable historical combat athletes, including figures like Diagoras of Rhodes and Egyptian Horus.
- Japanese Sumo WrestlingSumo wrestling is a cultural Japanese grappling sport, born out of a mix between 18th century street fighting and Shinto traditions.
- Medieval European NutritionMedieval European nutrition consisted of a ton of cereals, a lot of veggies, and a modest amount of meat. Due to Catholic beliefs, fish was very popular as well.
- Greek PankrationPankration was a violent, unrestrained Greek combat sport with elements from boxing and wrestling. Almost no rules meant fighters could kill.
- History of WrestlingThe history of wrestling, from ancient Mesopotamia to medieval Germany. Learn about the kinds of wrestling matches these cultures engaged in.
- History of Rugby FootballThe history of rugby, from ancient Greece to medieval Europe – learn about football games of the past leading up to England's development of modern rugby.