search for something
or read a curated article below
- History of BoxingThe history of boxing, from ancient Egypt to 17th century England. Learn about the fall of the sport and its revival a millennium later.
- Greek Dolichos (Race)The dolichos was an ancient Greek footrace held at the Olympic Games. It was an endurance race of 18-24 laps on the stadion – about 3 miles.
- Greek Pygmachia (Boxing)Pygmachia was a wildly popular Greek boxing sport with brutal and bloody fighting techniques, occasionally leading to deaths in the pit.
- Hawaiian Ancient SurfingTraditional Hawaiian culture is rich with ancient surfing history; giant, glossy surfboards for kings, conditioned koa boards for commoners.
- Japanese Kemari (Medieval Hacky Sack)Kemari was a Japanese keep-up game from the Middle Ages. Players cooperated to keep a ball airborne, often purposefully kicking it into trees. Learn more.
- German Ringen (Grappling)Geselliges Ringen was a medieval German recreational sport, while Kampfringen was a self-defense system akin to MMA.
- Greek Diaulos (Race)The Greek diaulos was a two-lap sprint around 200 meters. It was the second sport to be featured in the ancient Olympic Games.
- History of HockeyThe history of hockey, from ancient Irish fields to frozen Canadian lakes – learn about the hockey sports different cultures have played throughout history.