search for something
or read a curated article below
- Health and Medical SymbolsMedical symbols throughout the history of humankind have often featured serpents. More abstract symbols, such as the red cross, are newer.
- Greco-Roman Hoop RollingHoop rolling was a sporty Greco-Roman game played by both youths and adults. Using a short stick, they would roll a hoop for as long as possible.
- Greek Palé (Wrestling)Greek wrestling, palé, was the first non-running event added to the Ancient Olympics, though likely practiced for centuries beforehand.
- Calcio Fiorentino (Renaissance Soccer)Calcio fiorentino was an Italian Renaissance sport with elements of soccer and handball. It was popular among nobility, especially the Medici.
- Ancient Nemean GamesThe Nemean Games were a series of festivals that included even more events than the Olympic Games. Legends claim it was founded by Heracles.
- Ancient Hawaiian Ulu Maika (Bowling)Ulu maika was an ancient Hawaiian sport with similarities to bowling. Athletes would take turns rolling a small stone disk as far as they could.
- Greek PentathlonThe ancient Greek pentathlon was a multi-faceted Olympic event with high athletic demand – discus, javelin, long jump, sprinting, and wrestling.
- Ancient Pythian GamesThe Greek Pythian Games were held in honor of Apollo. They featured the same sports as the Olympic Games in addition to musical contests.