search for something
or read a curated article below
- Greek Dolichos (Race)The dolichos was an ancient Greek footrace held at the Olympic Games. It was an endurance race of 18-24 laps on the stadion – about 3 miles.
- Historical Strongmen and WeightliftersHealth and Fitness History's list of the most historical strongmen and weightlifters, including Milo of Croton and Theagenes of Thasos.
- Ancient Isthmian GamesThe ancient Isthmian Games were a series of athletic festivals held in honor of Poseidon, the Greek mythological deity of the sea.
- Greek Stadion (Race)The Greek stadion was a highly celebrated footrace and the first event to be held at the ancient Olympic Games.
- German Ringen (Grappling)Geselliges Ringen was a medieval German recreational sport, while Kampfringen was a self-defense system akin to MMA.
- Ancient Aztec NutritionAncient Aztec nutrition revolved heavily around corn and maize, complimented with vegetables and a lot of salt and chili pepper. Insects, too.
- Irish Coraíocht (Collar and Elbow)Coraíocht, commonly referred to as "Collar and Elbow," was a grappling sport practiced throughout Ireland for over a millennium.
- Japanese Kemari (Medieval Hacky Sack)Kemari was a Japanese keep-up game from the Middle Ages. Players cooperated to keep a ball airborne, often purposefully kicking it into trees. Learn more.