a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- History of BoxingThe history of boxing, from ancient Egypt to 17th century England. Learn about the fall of the sport and its revival a millennia later.
- Ancient Roman NutritionAncient Roman nutrition among the upper class was fairly poor. Senaca reported the upper classes made themselves vomit at feasts for room to eat more.
- Chinese Cuju (Ancient Soccer)Cuju, a sport similar to soccer, was popular for over a millennium across several Asian countries before fading away around the 16th century.
- History of Ball SportsThe history of ball sports, from ancient Chinese soccer to keep-away in Rome – learn about the ball games different cultures played throughout history.
- History of Football (American)The history of football, from ancient Greece to medieval Europe – learn about football games of the past and the development of modern American football.
- Rx, Prescription Symbol OriginRx, or ℞, is the symbol for prescriptions, used both in modern times and centuries past. The three theories as to its origins are detailed here.
- Medieval European NutritionMedieval European nutrition consisted of a ton of cereals, a lot of veggies, and a modest amount of meat. Due to Catholic beliefs, fish was very popular as well.
- Greek GymnasiumThe ancient Greek gymnasium was a bastion of physical education where men could train under the supervision of seasoned athletes.