a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- Chinese Cuju (Ancient Soccer)Cuju, a sport similar to soccer, was popular for over a millennium across several Asian countries before fading away around the 16th century.
- History of BoxingThe history of boxing, from ancient Egypt to 17th century England. Learn about the fall of the sport and its revival a millennia later.
- Ancient Olympic GamesThe ancient Olympic Games were athletic festivals held to honor Zeus. The stadion sprint was the only event originally, with additions later on.
- Health and Medical SymbolsMedical symbols throughout the history of humankind have often featured serpents. More abstract symbols, such as the red cross, are newer.
- Rx, Prescription Symbol OriginRx, or ℞, is the symbol for prescriptions, used both in modern times and centuries past. The three theories as to its origins are detailed here.
- Roman Harpastum (Ball Game)Roman harpastum was a combination of American football and keep-away. It was a fairly violent sport, with elements from wrestling incorporated.
- Native American MedicineNative American medicine and healthcare was centered around balance in every aspect of life – physical, spiritual, mental, and environmental.
- Greek PentathlonThe ancient Greek pentathlon was a multi-faceted Olympic event with high athletic demand – discus, javelin, long jump, sprinting, and wrestling.