a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- History of Strength TrainingThe history of strength training, from ancient China to medieval Iceland – learn how these cultures disciplined their bodies to build strength and power.
- History of KarateLearn about the history of karate, from its precursors in ancient India to its development in Okinawa, Japan and its spread in the 20th century.
- Japanese Sumo WrestlingSumo wrestling is a cultural Japanese grappling sport, born out of a mix between 18th century street fighting and Shinto traditions.
- Greek JavelinThe Greek javelin, though primarily used for war and hunting, was a recognizable icon within ancient Greek athletic culture.
- Roman Harpastum (Ball Game)Roman harpastum was a combination of American football and keep-away. It was a fairly violent sport, with elements from wrestling incorporated.
- German Ringen (Grappling)Geselliges Ringen was a medieval German recreational sport, while Kampfringen was a self-defense system akin to MMA.
- Greek GymnasiumThe ancient Greek gymnasium was a bastion of physical education where men could train under the supervision of seasoned athletes.
- Ancient Persian NutritionAncient Persian nutrition – herby rice loaded with vegetables and lamb, bread flavored with milk or herbs, and sweet fruit and wine for dessert.