a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- Japanese Sumo WrestlingSumo wrestling is a cultural Japanese grappling sport, born out of a mix between 18th century street fighting and Shinto traditions.
- Calcio Fiorentino (Renaissance Soccer)Calcio fiorentino was an Italian Renaissance sport with elements of soccer and handball. It was popular among nobility, especially the Medici.
- Greek Dolichos (Race)The dolichos was an ancient Greek footrace held at the Olympic Games. It was an endurance race of 18-24 laps on the stadion – about 3 miles.
- Ancient Egyptian MedicineAncient Egyptian medicine and healthcare was a dance between science and magic. Wound care, herbalism, and prayers all played a role in healing.
- Ancient Persian NutritionAncient Persian nutrition – herby rice loaded with vegetables and lamb, bread flavored with milk or herbs, and sweet fruit and wine for dessert.
- Rx, Prescription Symbol OriginRx, or ℞, is the symbol for prescriptions, used both in modern times and centuries past. The three theories as to its origins are detailed here.
- History of Football (American)The history of football, from ancient Greece to medieval Europe – learn about football games of the past and the development of modern American football.
- Greek PankrationPankration was a violent, unrestrained Greek combat sport with elements from boxing and wrestling. Almost no rules meant fighters could kill.