a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- Ancient Isthmian GamesThe ancient Isthmian Games were a series of athletic festivals held in honor of Poseidon, the Greek mythological deity of the sea.
- Ancient Roman NutritionAncient Roman nutrition among the upper class was fairly poor. Senaca reported the upper classes made themselves vomit at feasts for room to eat more.
- Ancient Egyptian MedicineAncient Egyptian medicine and healthcare was a dance between science and magic. Wound care, herbalism, and prayers all played a role in healing.
- Historical Fighters and WrestlersHealth and Fitness History's list of the most notable historical combat athletes, including figures like Diagoras of Rhodes and Egyptian Horus.
- Greek Diaulos (Race)The Greek diaulos was a two-lap sprint around 200 meters. It was the second sport to be featured in the ancient Olympic Games.
- History of WrestlingThe history of wrestling, from ancient Mesopotamia to medieval Germany. Learn about the kinds of wrestling matches these cultures engaged in.
- Medieval European NutritionMedieval European nutrition consisted of a ton of cereals, a lot of veggies, and a modest amount of meat. Due to Catholic beliefs, fish was very popular as well.
- Rx, Prescription Symbol OriginRx, or ℞, is the symbol for prescriptions, used both in modern times and centuries past. The three theories as to its origins are detailed here.