a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- Ancient Olympic GamesThe ancient Olympic Games were athletic festivals held to honor Zeus. The stadion sprint was the only event originally, with additions later on.
- Greco-Roman Hoop RollingHoop rolling was a sporty Greco-Roman game played by both youths and adults. Using a short stick, they would roll a hoop for as long as possible.
- History of BoxingThe history of boxing, from ancient Egypt to 17th century England. Learn about the fall of the sport and its revival a millennia later.
- History of Ball SportsThe history of ball sports, from ancient Chinese soccer to keep-away in Rome – learn about the ball games different cultures played throughout history.
- Greek Diaulos (Race)The Greek diaulos was a two-lap sprint around 200 meters. It was the second sport to be featured in the ancient Olympic Games.
- Ancient Greek MedicineAncient Greek medicine paved the way for Western healthcare practices, growing from prayers to the gods to precise diagnoses and prescriptions.
- Ancient Persian NutritionAncient Persian nutrition – herby rice loaded with vegetables and lamb, bread flavored with milk or herbs, and sweet fruit and wine for dessert.
- Greek PankrationPankration was a violent, unrestrained Greek combat sport with elements from boxing and wrestling. Almost no rules meant fighters could kill.