a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- Ancient Roman NutritionAncient Roman nutrition among the upper class was fairly poor. Senaca reported the upper classes made themselves vomit at feasts for room to eat more.
- Japanese Sumo WrestlingSumo wrestling is a cultural Japanese grappling sport, born out of a mix between 18th century street fighting and Shinto traditions.
- Greco-Roman Hoop RollingHoop rolling was a sporty Greco-Roman game played by both youths and adults. Using a short stick, they would roll a hoop for as long as possible.
- History of KarateLearn about the history of karate, from its precursors in ancient India to its development in Okinawa, Japan and its spread in the 20th century.
- Irish Coraíocht (Collar and Elbow)Coraíocht, commonly referred to as "Collar and Elbow," was a grappling sport practiced throughout Ireland for over a millennium.
- Historical RunnersHealth and Fitness History's list of the most historical runners, including the legend behind the marathon race, Pheidippides.
- History of Football (American)The history of football, from ancient Greece to medieval Europe – learn about football games of the past and the development of modern American football.
- History of FitnessThe history of fitness and exercise, from ancient Greece to India – learn how these cultures kept their bodies in healthy condition.