a historical knowledge base on all things health and fitness
search for something
or start with a curated article below
- Ancient Isthmian GamesThe ancient Isthmian Games were a series of athletic festivals held in honor of Poseidon, the Greek mythological deity of the sea.
- Ancient Olympic GamesThe ancient Olympic Games were athletic festivals held to honor Zeus. The stadion sprint was the only event originally, with additions later on.
- History of SoccerThe history of soccer, from ancient China to medieval Europe – learn about football games of the past and the development of modern association football.
- Greek JavelinThe Greek javelin, though primarily used for war and hunting, was a recognizable icon within ancient Greek athletic culture.
- Japanese Kemari (Medieval Hacky Sack)Kemari was a Japanese keep-up game from the Middle Ages. Players cooperated to keep a ball airborne, often purposefully kicking it into trees. Learn more.
- Ancient Heraean GamesThe Heraean Games were a series of festivals held in honor of the Greek goddess Hera. Only women were allowed to compete in these games.
- History of WrestlingThe history of wrestling, from ancient Mesopotamia to medieval Germany. Learn about the kinds of wrestling matches these cultures engaged in.
- Greek Episkyros (Ball Game)Episkyros, like American football, required a lot of strength and agility. It was a somewhat dangerous sport, with occasional broken bones